Mitchell is a member of TGF’s Restructuring and Insolvency team with experience representing debtor companies, Court officers, creditors, DIP lenders, private equity groups and distressed purchasers in BIA and CCAA proceedings. Mitchell has represented US clients and worked on a number of cross-border matters in the US and the UK. He provides strategic advice to debtors regarding the protection of their business and creditors in security enforcement scenarios. Mitchell has broad industry exposure, having worked with clients in industrial commodities, technology, retail, financial services, cannabis, facilities management, construction and education.
Mitchell’s clients benefit from his prior experience in the financial services industry, and he is recognized by clients for his expertise in data manipulation and financial analysis. As a well-rounded professional, Mitchell offers a practical problem-solving approach to client work, enjoys managing files throughout their lifecycle, and is known for building trust with clients through his calm demeanour and transparent dialogue.
Mitchell has been recognized by his peers for his writing and analytical ability. He won the Insolvency Institute of Canada’s Law Student Writing Award for the paper “The Clash Between Corporate & Insolvency law: CBCA Restructurings”, published in the 2016 edition of the Journal of the Insolvency Institute of Canada. Mitchell was an active leader in law school, serving as the student director of the Western Business Law Clinic and as a case manager at the Sport Solution Clinic. He also captained the 2015 Law Games team and played varsity baseball for Western. Mitchell applies the team and leadership skills gained as a varsity athlete in all aspects of his growing legal career.
As an associate at TGF, Mitchell has been part of a team representing clients in the following matters:
- Counsel to the first publicly-funded university in Canada to be restructured pursuant to insolvency legislation.
- Counsel to A. Farber & Partners Inc., in connection with a CCAA proceeding that was converted to a receivership by application of certain secured creditors.
- Counsel to Richter Inc., in connection with the restructuring and sale of Ayanda Cannabis Corporation under the BIA.
- Counsel to Green Relief Inc in connection with its restructuring under the CCAA.
- Counsel to Ernst & Young Inc., in connection with the liquidation of the Carillion Canada Group under the CCAA.
- Counsel to JTI-Macdonald Corp., one of the largest tobacco companies in Canada, in its proceedings under the CCAA with a goal to achieve a global resolution of the myriad of litigation claims against it exceeding $500 billion. The two other largest tobacco companies have also filed for CCAA protection resulting in unprecedented industry-wide proceedings.
- Counsel to RCR International Inc. and W.J. Dennis & Company in connection with a sale of substantially all of the assets of the companies through a CCAA proceeding and United States Chapter 15 proceeding.
- Counsel to U.S. Steel Corporation, the global parent of U.S. Steel Canada in U.S. Steel Canada’s CCAA proceedings.
- Canadian insolvency counsel representing SquareTwo Services Corporation and its subsidiaries in the cross-border Chapter 11 proceedings and CCAA Part IV recognition proceedings.
- Counsel to GuestLogix Inc. and its subsidiaries with respect to their restructuring under the CCAA.
- Counsel to an Ontario college with respect to the restructuring of its student association.
- Represents special loans groups in various large national banks.
TGF acts as counsel to the Applicant in its CCAA proceedings. JTIM’s CCAA proceedings are related to the CCAA filings of both Rothmans, Benso...
Canadian counsel to the companies with respect to a US$400 million prepackaged restructuring plan in Canada and the US.
Represented the College in obtaining the first court-appointed Receiver over a student association in a post-secondary context.
Mitchell is a member of:
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- INSOL International
- International Insolvency Institute: Class XI of the NextGen Leadership Program for 2022
- Turnaround Management Association
- The Advocates’ Society
Recent professional appearances include:
Mitch is recognized as a leading lawyer in:
- The Best Lawyers in Canada® 2024 and prior years (Insolvency & Financial Restructuring Law)
- J.D. (Western University), 2015
- B. Comm. (Hons.) (University of British Columbia), 2010