Alexander is a lawyer with TGF, practicing in both restructuring and insolvency and commercial litigation. Alexander’s flexibility and breadth of knowledge of these areas of law assist his clients in finding creative resolutions to complex disputes, whether inside or outside of the courtroom. Alexander regularly represents financial institutions and other creditors in complex insolvency proceedings, and as an active oral advocate, has appeared in the Ontario Superior Court and the Court of Appeal on various matters.
Prior to joining TGF, Alexander worked as an associate at a mid-sized Toronto law firm where he gained significant court experience, focused primarily on commercial litigation and the enforcement of creditors’ rights. As a litigator, Alexander is known for his methodical yet flexible advocacy style. He is an authentic, committed counsel to clients, commended for his attentive approach in managing their challenging legal issues.
Alexander demonstrated community leadership during his legal training. In law school, Alexander volunteered with Downtown Legal Services, a pro bono legal clinic, and represented individuals facing criminal charges at the Ontario Court of Justice. Alexander also assisted pro bono counsel with appeals of summary conviction offenses.
As an associate at TGF, Alexander has been part of a team representing clients in the following matters:
- Represented several limited partners of the developer of the YSL Project, successfully opposing a Bankruptcy and Insolvency Act proposal and obtaining a finding that the general partner acted in breach of fiduciary duty.
- Secured a $20 million equitable mortgage for a private lender over a large development property.
- Obtained the dismissal of an action against the Durham College of Applied Arts and Technology involving claims of negligence and negligent misrepresentation by former employees of the College’s student union.
- Represented several affiliated landlords in the King Street Company CCAA proceedings and the Guardian Financial CCAA proceedings.
- Succeeded on appeal to the Divisional Court from a decision involving the interpretation of a contractual renewal provision.
- Counsel to a major commercial landlord on cases involving the interpretation and enforcement of commercial real estate contracts.
The Ontario Court of Appeal (“Court”) recently clarified the scope of what terms are appropriate when granting relief from forfeiture p...
Courts will not rewrite leases by granting tenants rent abatements, despite the impact of the COVID-19 pandemic. That was the bottom line conclusio...
Alexander is a member of:
- Canadian Bar Association
- Ontario Bar Association
- The Advocates’ Society
- Turnaround Management Association
Recent professional appearances include:
Alexander is recognized as a leading lawyer in:
- The Best Lawyers in Canada® 2024 (Insolvency & Financial Restructuring Law)
- J.D. (University of Toronto), 2016
- B.A. (Harvard University), 2011