Paul has a broad civil litigation practice at both the trial and appellate levels. He has experience in many areas, including corporate commercial litigation, director and officer liability, insolvency litigation, securities litigation, class actions and public law litigation.
He has appeared before all levels of court in Ontario, courts in other provinces, the Supreme Court of Canada and numerous administrative tribunals.
He has acted for a wide range of clients, including individuals, small and medium sized businesses, large publicly traded companies, not-for-profit organizations and various levels of government.
- Acted on several matters before the Supreme Court of Canada, including one of the country’s leading equality rights cases (R v Kapp) and the leading case in Canada on environmental claims within the context of insolvency proceedings (Re AbitibiBowater)
- Acted for a sitting Prime Minister of Canada and, in a separate proceeding, a former
Prime Minister of Canada
- Represented parties in securities class actions, including defending a former officer against claims asserted in a Canada-wide class action alleging misrepresentations in public disclosure documents made by SNC-Lavalin
- Acted on various matters arising out of the affairs of the Hollinger newspaper group
- Acted for a number of former directors and officers in connection with environmental liability claims made against them arising out of the liquidation of Northstar Aerospace
Paul is an elected member of the Executive of both the Ontario Bar Association’s Civil Litigation Section and its Class Actions Section.
He also currently serves as Vice Chair to Commercial Litigation Practice Group of The Advocates’ Society.
Paul is actively involved with the moot court programs at the University of Toronto Law School and Osgoode Hall Law School.
He is a member of the judging panel of the Wilson Moot (a national competition held annually that focuses on current issues in constitutional law).
He taught civil procedure and trial advocacy for several years as an adjunct professor at Western University Law School.
Paul maintains an active pro bono component to his practice and he has appeared before all levels of court in Ontario and various administrative tribunals in a pro bono capacity on behalf of individuals and organizations, such as the Canadian Civil Liberties Association.
Paul is a frequent speaker at legal education seminars and his academic work in law has been published in professionally-refereed legal journals and legal texts.
Paul is a member of:
- The Advocates’ Society
- Canadian Bar Association
Paul has been the recipient of numerous professional recognition, including:
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory 2020 (Litigation - Corporate Commercial)
- The Best Lawyers in Canada® 2020 (Corporate and Commercial Litigation)
- Benchmark Canada: The Definitive Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys 2020 (Litigation Star in Ontario)
- Litigation Lawyer to Watch – Lexpert 2013 Guide to the Leading US/Canada Cross-border Litigation Lawyers in Canada
- Lexpert 2012 Rising Stars: Leading Lawyers Under 40
- LL.M. (University of Toronto), 2014
- LL.B. (Queen’s University), 2003
- B.A. (Hons.) (University of Guelph), 1998