Alexander (Lex) began his legal career at TGF, working as a summer student and an articling student before being invited to join the firm as an associate. He has experience working with clients across all stages of legal mandates, including independently managing several smaller matters and appearing in Court. Lex works closely with many of the firm’s more senior lawyers to gain exposure to a breadth of matters in both insolvency and litigation.
Lex is known for his diplomatic, positive demeanor, and is a resilient advocate in looking for ways to help resolve clients’ complex legal and business issues. He rigorously applies legal research skills to assist with difficult and often unprecedented situations.
At the conclusion of his legal education, Lex received the 2021 Michael MacNaughton Student Writing Award for Insolvency Law for his paper “Aquadis Case Comment - Extending the Reach of the Super Monitor”. In law school, Lex worked as a research assistant, supporting two professors in bankruptcy and insolvency, and was exposed to public policy through the Ontario Legislature Internship Programme. Lex was an active member of his law school community, volunteering as a Program Manager in the Sport Solution Clinic, where he advised national and Olympic-level athletes, as well as serving a term as Vice-President, External in student government.
As an associate, Lex has been part of a team representing clients in the following matters:
- Counsel to PricewaterhouseCoopers Inc. in its capacity as receiver and manager of Bridging Financial Inc. and its related entities. This mandate involves maximizing returns for 26,000 investors in the context of alleged mismanagement and misappropriation of tens of millions of dollars of investor funds.
- Counsel to Grant Thornton Limited as Trustee in Bankruptcy of self-proclaimed crypto king Aiden Pleterski and AP Private Equity Limited.
- Counsel to BDO Canada LLP in its capacity as the court-appointed receiver and manager of Westoak Naturals Inc.
- Counsel to msi Spergel inc. in its capacity as the court-appointed receiver and manager of 1731861 Ontario Inc. o/a Plasticap.
- Counsel representing a major construction joint venture in private dispute resolution on a large infrastructure project.