Called to the Bar of Ontario, 1999
LL.B. (Manitoba), 1997
B.A. (Hons.) (Western), 1994
Leanne practices exclusively in the area of restructuring and insolvency, including workouts, refinancing, receiverships, bankruptcies and the enforcement of creditors' rights generally. Leanne regularly represents charter banks and financial institutions across a broad spectrum of industries. She also represents court officers such as trustees in bankruptcy, receivers and CCAA monitors. Leanne became a partner in 2006.
Leanne organizes and coordinates many of TGF's internal and external fundraising efforts to benefit a variety of charities. Leanne recently spoke at a conference on secured lending and debt finance in the area of debt enforcement.
- Counsel to the Court-appointed Monitor of the Mobilicity group of companies
- Advisor to U. S. Steel in the restructuring of U. S. Steel Canada
- Counsel to the Syndicate of Lenders to Allen-Vanguard Corporation, a publicly-traded international military defense corporation, during its restructuring through the CCAA and recapitalization as a private entity
- Counsel to Flextronics Corporation, Nortel's largest supplier and significant creditor, during the CCAA restructuring of Nortel
- Represents Hollinger and certain of its subsidiaries in its CCAA filing in Canada
- Advisor to the court-appointed Monitor of AbitibiBowater
- Represented the Monitor of a retailer, Athletes World, in its restructuring and successful Plan of Arrangement under the CCAA
- Counsel to the Monitor of a tobacco company, JTI Macdonald, until its successful emergence from the CCAA
- Acted as counsel to the court-appointed Interim Receiver of Mosaic Group, a cross-border marketing and technology company, during the liquidation of its assets for the benefit of its creditors
- Represented the largest secured creditor of Canada 3000 during the liquidation of the airline's assets
- Acted as counsel to the largest unsecured creditor of Irwin Toy during the liquidation of its assets
Leanne is a member of The Advocates' Society, the International Women's Insolvency & Restructuring Confederation, INSOL International, the Toronto Lawyers Association, the Canadian Bar Association, the Turnaround Management Association, the American Bankruptcy Institute, the Canadian Association of Insolvency and Restructuring Professionals, the Canadian Insolvency Foundation and the Ontario Bar Association, Insolvency Section, Association for Corporate Growth and the Women's Executive Network. She is also on the Education Committee and the Membership Committee of the Turnaround Management Association. Leanne is also the Canadian Insolvency member of International Referral, a global network of business lawyers. Her recent professional appearances include:
- Co-chair – Ontario Bar Association's Institute 2016 Insolvency Law Program, Insolvency “Law or Uncertain Economic Times”. February 2, 2016.
- Co-chair and presenter – The Federated Press, “2nd Loan Documentation Course”. January 19-20, 2016.
- Co-presenter - Osgoode Professional Development, ‘Enforcing and Realizing on Security”. October 7, 2015.
- Co-chair of the OBA's Institute 2015 Insolvency Law Program: Hot Topics, Important Cases and Emerging Trends in Insolvency & Bankruptcy Law. February 5, 2015.
- Presenter “Negotiating Forbearance Agreements” at the Federated Press’ Loan Documentation Conference: Mastering critical issues in loan negotiation and documentation. January 28, 2015.
- Panelist at CAIRP's Commercial Insolvency and Restructuring Program revolving around a practical scenario of whether to file under the CCAA or the BIA. March 27, 2014.
- Co-presenter - Osgoode Professional Development, ‘Enforcing and Realizing on Security”. March 18, 2014.
- Panelist at the Law Society of Upper Canada's program on Bankruptcy, Insolvency and Receivership Essentials. March 19, 2014.
- Moderator at the ACG Toronto Lunch and Learn panel: The State of Insolvency and Restructuring. October 21, 2013.
- Co-presenter - Osgoode Professional Development, ‘Enforcing and Realizing on Security”. March 19, 2013.