Called to the Bar of Ontario,1983
LL.B. (Queen's), 1981
B.A. (Hons.) (Toronto), 1978
Jim is a founding partner of TGF and is internationally-recognized for his expertise in the fields of insolvency, restructuring and commercial litigation. Jim has extensive experience in the automotive, insurance, mining, securities, retail, forestry and pharmaceutical sectors. He is recognized as a leading restructuring and insolvency practitioner in Canada in Chambers Global (2015). Jim is listed in the Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (2015) as "repeatedly recommended" in the areas of corporate commercial litigation, insolvency and financial restructuring.
- Appeared as counsel in proceedings under the CCAA, including Algoma Steel, Stelco Inc., the Asset Backed Commercial Paper matter, Montreal, Maine & Atlantic Railway
- Counsel for the Receiver of the Portus Group. As a result of Portus' collapse, over 26,000 investors were owed in excess of $790 million. The Receiver recovered over 95 cents on every dollar of their claims
- Has represented the vast majority of the Receivers of securities firms in Ontario
- Counsel to the Receiver and Bankruptcy Trustee of an insolvent pulp and paper mill in a case involving the divestiture provisions of the BIA
- Counsel to the Receiver of Blockbuster Canada - an orderly liquidation of approximately 440 stores with significant cross border issues
- Counsel for the Ontario Securities Commission in the insolvency proceedings of Sino-Forest Corporation
- Appointed by the Court as Representative Counsel in the liquidations of Confederation Life and Northumberland General Insurance
- Regularly advises the Ontario Securities Commission on insolvency matters and has represented the Securities and Exchange Commission in a cross-border proceeding
Jim was the founding chairman and is currently one of the three co-chairs of the Gold Medal Plates fundraiser for Canada's Olympic athletes. The event raises funds for the Own the Podium program, which was instrumental in Team Canada's success at the Vancouver, London and Sochi Olympic Games.
Jim is a member of the Ontario Bar Association, Insolvency Section, INSOL International and the Insolvency Institute of Canada.